How To Migrate From Joomla 1.5 to 2.5
When you decide to migrate your site to newer version, make sure to create a backup of your current site. This way, if anything goes wrong, you can always revert to the old situation. This is a step-by-step quick guide to migrate from Joomla 1.5 to 1.7 or 2.5 version. After you upgrade to 2.5 version, you can then move your website to 3.x version.
- Check whether all your necessary extensions, templates, plugins, modules and language packs you are using are available for Joomla 2.5 version. If they are not available, whether the developer will release it or are there alternatives to them? Most of the popular extensions are already released for Joomla 2.5 version.
- Update your Joomla 1.5 version website to latest version (which is 1.5.25) especially if you are running Joomla 1.5.19 or lower.
- Backup your existing website.
- Download latest version of jUpgrade extension and install the extension from Joomla backend. Download jUpgrade Extension
- Enable mootools upgrade plugin. Go to plugins manager in Joomla backend and enable Systems - Mootools upgrade plugin.
- Run the jUpgrade extension. jUpgrade downloads latest version of Joomla to jUpgrade directory. It doesn't touches existing Joomla version. So, if there is any problem with upgradation, there is no need to worry.
- Check your new Joomla installation. (installed in mysite.com/jupgrade folder)
- Create a subfolder oldversion in old joomla website and copy all the old joomla files and folders (except oldversion and jupgrade folder) in this folder. This is precautionary move.
- Select all files and folders in jUpgrade folder and move them to HTML root (where your Joomla is installed.
- Again check the frontend and backend.